Windows 11 with kvm/virt-manager 3.2.0
Today, I encountered ‘This PC can’t run Windows 11’ while setting up a Windows 11 virtual machine with
Quite annoying when the installer doesn’t specify which requirements weren’t met…
Here are the steps which I used to bypass the error:
edk2-ovmffor UEFI and
swtpmfor Software TPM.
- Select Windows 11 ISO.
virt-manager3.2.0 still detects it as Windows 10.
- Ensure allocation of at least 4 GB of RAM, 2 CPU cores, and 64 GB of disk.
- Tick ‘Customize configuration before install’.
- Add Hardware, TPM, TIS, Emulated device, 2.0.
- Overview, Firmware to UEFI x86_64 with secure boot, Apply (important, or this will get reset!).
- Boot options, tick CDROM, increase priority (to top), Apply again.
- Begin installation.
I encountered this strange problem where the screen was black after booting, so I changed video to VGA.
After installation, I installed
spice-guest-tools and changed it back to QXL for auto-resizing.